Tuesday, November 9, 2010

And now for a word about muzzle brakes.

This is my AK. There are many like it, but this one is mine.


For as long as I've had it, my carbine has had a silly little "slant brake" on the end of the barrel. It's a sort of shelf, canted off to one side of the bottom. I suppose the idea is that muzzle blast will push against it and somewhat counteract the carbine's tendency toward muzzle rise.

It doesn't work worth diddly. My AK isn't a tack-driver, but it's accurate enough for practical use on the first shot. Rapid-fire offhand, though, is a waste of ammo. I can't keep subsequent shots on target. It's been a complaint of mine since the first magazine I ever put through it.


This weekend, M brought me the muzzle brake below. It's Hungarian, he says, like the one on his new Krinkov. And all I have to say about it is, it actually works! My carbine is much more controllable when double-tapping.


Just in case you had similar problems. They're not expensive.

5 comments:

Pat H. said...

That's a good addition to your militia tool, the only improvement would be a suppressor mount such as this one.

As far as accuracy is concerned, the AK isn't really in the running. It's a serviceable tool, nothing more.

Anonymous said...

M sure does seem to know his way around toys! K

Big Wooly said...

How "not expensive" are they? I wonder if they make one for an AR-10?

Joel said...

M does indeed know his way around toys. His father is a scholar on the subject, and M has fallen in with some pretty impressive companions whose interest in them is more ... practical.

This cost me about $10. I'd be shocked to learn it fit an AR-10, though - all the AKs I've seen have identically (gasp!) threaded barrels. I have seen AR-10s with muzzle brakes, though, so I'm sure something is available.

M said...

It will not fit an AR-10, because it has standard AK left-hand threading. Most Western rifles use right-hand barrel threads.