Monday, August 22, 2011

I expected this to be more condescending.

When I saw Claire had linked to a NYT article about dollar stores.

I expected the article to be condescending, that is: Not Claire.  She gets it.

I confess with some embarrassment that I was late coming to dollar stores.  Some stupid but deeply-held prejudice on my part, no doubt, that said, "But they're for poor people."

To which the rational response could only be, "Suck it up, Joel.  You are poor."

The little town near our neighborhood has only one supermarket but two dollar stores, which will probably tell you something about the local economy.  I find that entirely appropriate, and the stores are very useful for keeping up stocks of those everyday things that don't really require Full Costco Mobilization and big sacks'o'grain.

1 comment:

MamaLiberty said...

Our little town has two nice independent grocery stores and one "Family Dollar" store. I go in at least once a month when their flyer comes out, but I don't usually find much that is less expensive than the grocery store - for grocery items especially. Lots of other products are the cheapest quality imaginable and I have to laugh at people who sneer at WalMart but then buy this stuff. It all comes from China too.

They have great sales on bulk toilet paper and paper towels once in a while and I stock up, though I don't use a lot of either one. Just nice to have a stock if they become unavailable.