Monday, December 12, 2011

A very practical gift...

I don't do Christmas much. And so I'm always a bit embarrassed when people give me gifts. Oh, I take them ... but it embarrasses me.

This morning I rushed to get the shit-shoveling done. I had to move it up a day because the service guy is supposed to come tomorrow morning and move my satellite dish and I have to leave that time slot open, and I had to rush because rain and snow were due any second. In fact the rain started in earnest just as I started typing this, which means I need to run and rescue the boys.

Anyway, J came out and said he'd left my Christmas gift on the seat of the Jeep, and he hoped I didn't mind if it was unwrapped and that it was a rather practical gift. I said that since I wasn't expecting anything at all, both were fine and much appreciated. And it was a very practical gift indeed, since I'd been planning to get one for myself...


I told them I'd be putting it up this very day.

Saturday morning I got a gift from my weekender neighbors S&L. And while not exactly practical, it's certainly apropo...

BTW, the internet guy is supposed to come move the system to the Lair tomorrow, but ... well, this is a place where you believe that when you see it and we're due for a few days of crappy weather so I'll believe it when I see it. But if things go real quiet around here, it's because he got it apart but failed to get it back together. If everything goes EXACTLY according to plan (HAH!) the next post you see here tomorrow will be tapped out at my very own desk in my very own lair.

6 comments:

MamaLiberty said...

Test your batteries in that alarm once in a while. I just about died of fright late one night when mind work me out of a sound sleep to tell me the batteries were low.

I didn't know the damned thing could TALK!!!

Kid you not, I was rolled out of bed and had the gun in my hand before I figured out it wasn't some man in my bedroom but a damned talking smoke alarm!

MamaLiberty said...

WOKE me, not work me. GAG! I get too excited. LOL

gooch said...

Mine doesn't talk but it does have a little orange light that flashes every minute.
It also has a test button in case I don't feel like waiting for the light to flash. I am such a busy man don't you know ...

I need to reread the booklet as I think it also flashes more often when the battery is getting low.
Or maybe it was that it flashes in a pattern. Like three quick flashes rather than one flash per minute.

I don't do the presents thing very much either. IF I happen to run across something that brings a special person to mind AND I have the necessary disposable cash then I do go ahead and pick it up for them. [Wool sox a few years ago?]

Have I mentioned how much I don't really care for this poverty crap?
It keeps the tax goons out of my life but it still isn't very much fun for a retired sailor.
" Not any longer he doesn't.

gooch said...

That's weird ... somehow I cut a whole sentence out of the post above.

Between the last short quip Not any longer he doesn't. and the sentence before that I had written a quote for the Mack the Knife song.
"he spends just like a sailor"
All it left was the last quotation mark. (")
I wonder what buttons I pushed that made that happen?
I am such a handy fellow around computers ... sigh

gooch said...

And now my whole post has disappeared.

Help ...

Brass said...

Remember to mount it low: CO is heavier than air.