Friday, January 6, 2012

I'm a cedar rat and I'm okay...

Finally got around to completing the sink drain for the Secret Lair...

I've had the parts to do this for a couple of months, I think. But as soon as I got them I lost all my water, and for a while it made more sense to drain the sink into a big bucket so I'd have something to flush the toilet with. Then inertia set in, but I figured I'd better finish the damned thing because this gorgeous weather isn't going to last forever. So I spent considerable time under the cabin today, laying pipe. Then more time covering it up in the trench to the ditch I dug years ago, draining the gully behind the cabin when it rains. So far that ditch has worked pretty well keeping water from washing under the cabin.

Then it was time to do something about the stovewood supply, which has gotten kind of low...

It's not that I don't have wood, because I haul wood in once or twice a week. But it does have to be cut to size.

So to work we go.

And about an hour and a half later, there's a good week's worth. More, if it stays nice. Which can't be counted on.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Man, that scrub cedar -- or whatever it is -- would collect and hold enough grit to murder chain saw blades.

Joel said...

Oh, yeah. It's hell on chains. Dulls them fast, stretches them all out so your drive and bar sprockets suffer. I started the season with five chains, I'm down to four and it's not enough. One of these days I've got to get a file guide so I can stop paying somebody else to sharpen them; I'm no damn good at filing them by hand.